Friday, September 13, 2013

Weekend Quickie

I saw this after last night's game, and it struck a chord with me. First of all, here's the link:

http://footballscoop.com/news/10857-when-a-top-player-makes-a-mistake

I've always tried to maintain a Tony Dungy-type of demeanor on the sidelines - dealing with issues, trying to look ahead and moving forward. For some reason, I've found it is relatively easy for me to do as long as I'm either "just" the OL coach or "just" the head coach. I can take on a much more managerial demeanor in both those roles.

However, when I'm also the OC, then I have a harder time with it. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's a more emotional involvement with the entire offense. With the Surge, I was able to be up in the booth, and that's actually where I prefer to call plays - it helps with the emotional detachment. The poor coach on the other end of the headset (Hi Carrie!) may not always see it that way, but it really is better. But with the Bears, since I'm also the HC and recently had to take over playcalling, it's tougher because I'm down on the field. I think I still do a good job with the refs, but I'm less tolerant of mistakes from my guys.

So bottom line, I love the way Kingsbury picked his guy up. It's gotta be really tough in that situation to keep your cool, but I think it is a trait worth emulating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment