Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pre-Snap Checklist for the Offensive Line

This particular checklist is courtesy of Bob Wylie, a long-time NFL offensive line coach with the Bears and Raiders, among others. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wylie) I've fleshed some of the points out based on my experience.

When your offensive line hears the play call in the huddle (or on the LOS), what is the first thing they think of? (Hopefully not “Oh no – they’re running right behind me!”) What is their thought process about how they’re going to get the job done? Have you drilled their initial steps well enough that they don’t have to think about them?

Here’s their checklist:
Who do I have to block? Whether you block man, zone or by rule, the first thing going through your OL’s mind should be who s/he has. No matter if they think “DE”, “LB”, “inside gap” or “end man on the LOS”, they have to know and process that answer quickly.

What can the defense do to me in this picture? You need to teach your players to understand defenses and defensive looks. A defensive end who is normally outside is suddenly tighter with an OLB outside on the LOS…that should alert the tackle immediately to the possibility of an inside slant by the DE. Does this picture cause an adjustment that was talked about in practice or on the sidelines? Who’s likely to have contain, and who likely doesn't?

How will I get it done? Once the OL knows their assignment and understands what the defense is showing by alignment, then it becomes a matter of execution. Execution comes in two parts – assignment and technique. Assignment in this case doesn't really mean “who do I block” – that’s already been covered. It means more along the lines of “who is going to do this block with me, if anyone?” If I’m a tackle, am I going to do it solo, with the TE or with the guard? If it’s a pass play, do I have help from anyone? If so, from where? My inside or my outside? Is it the guard sliding to me, or is it a RB chipping from the outside? 

Knowing those answers will impact what the correct first step (technique) will be. An incorrect first step will mean you’ll be “playing behind” from the snap (please refer to my last post about assumptions you can make, and the dangers of playing against a better athlete). After that first step and first punch, then drilled responses to defensive action takes over - you're out of the checklist phase.

Homer Smith emphasized the importance of the QB having a mental checklist similar to that of a pilot. While the offensive line doesn't have quite as much to think about as the QB, I strongly believe that the use of a pre-snap checklist each and every play will help curtail “accidents” after the snap.

No comments:

Post a Comment