Wednesday, June 3, 2015

I Want a New Drug

For those old enough to remember that Huey Lewis and the News tune…..

I’ve come to realize one thing this year, between the women’s season in which games started in April, and the start of the men’s season, in which practices started two weeks ago: I really love being an offensive coordinator. I’ve never really had the burning desire to be a head coach, although I did it once. I mean, it is fun to have influence on not only all three phases of the game (although I pretty much stayed out of my DC’s way), but also on a team’s culture. But overall, I’ve known for a long time that I don’t have the patience to deal with all the admin stuff and disciplinary items that come across a HC’s desk. That just isn’t my gig. Perhaps if I were a high school head coach, where it was my only job, then it would be OK.

I want to be like Ernie Zampese (another old time reference for you youngsters), the long-time OC for the Chargers during Air Coryell and the Rams after that (also the Cowboys and Patriots). He was happiest while simply creating – never wanted to be a HC, although he did interview for a couple of gigs just because he felt he should because of courtesy to those that asked. Kind of like Norm Chow, another career-long OC, who yes, he is now a HC, but I bet he wishes he was still “just” a coordinator. I don’t know, maybe Coach Chow actually wanted to be a HC when he took the job or interviewed, but I’m not sure how much fun he’s having now…..and I think that is important.

What I’ve noticed this year with the Surge is that only coaching the OL has left me feeling sort of empty on game days. There’s no knot in my stomach wondering if I’ve done everything I could do to get the offense ready; no tossing and turning the night before wondering if I’ve made the right adjustments against this defense, and wondering whether my Plan B (or C and D) were going to be enough. No adrenaline rush when your first series results in a four play TD drive, and then you come back on the second series and do it again. No watching your First 15 play script work to perfection, or get trashed after Play 8, searching for alternatives.

Certainly, the Central Cal game a few weeks ago came close to the “old high”, their DL giving us some physical issues up front and making me stay really on top of things for most of the game. Even when the final outcome was in hand we had the continuous responsibility to protect our QB and backs, so there was little time to relax. But overall, I know how talented my OL is and I’ve seen most of them in enough plays that I know what the end result of any play is likely to be – 25 years of coaching the OL will do that for you.

Contrast that to our first Bears practice two weeks ago….it was just a practice, and we were only going to run one run play (with variations), a few pass route combinations, one protection, but all of our base formations, motions and two cadences. However, this was the “unveiling” of the offense that I tore down and rebuilt from a terminology standpoint last winter. I wasn’t sure how it would take from a comprehension and rep tempo standpoint. It went better than I hoped, and we caught the defense more than a couple of times. We probably hit on 70% of our passes. Granted, it was Day One for them as well, and they have a new coordinator also. So we were both trotting out new systems. But doing what we did is a heckuva lot better than being on the short end, you know? But at the end, and during it, that same high was in effect – the feeling that something I created was alive, and I felt more “alive” as well.

Please don’t take ANY of this to mean that coaching the OL isn’t still a challenge. It is, especially this year when dealing with multiple rookies and injuries. It’s just that on game day, my work is largely done. On game day, I turn to being an encourager, an adjuster and an occasional ass-kicker.  :-)

***
A couple of big games last week. Boston went into Chicago and beat the Force. I didn’t see that happening. I thought Boston might be done after losing to DC (in Boston) and then beating Cleveland (who, although very solid, hadn’t come that close to Boston recently) by only four points. Thanks a lot Renegades, for keeping our East Coast scouting complicated!

Pacific beating Central Cal….honestly didn’t see that one happening either, although I did expect a close game. Pacific is certainly flying high right now, and this week’s game against them in their place should be a great one. If you’re anywhere close to Carson, you should come out to see it!

***
One of my favorite sites for info (not necessarily scheme or technique, just program/coach/job info) is Football Scoop. The other day, one of their staff members asked an anonymous (too bad, because I’d like to give him credit) FBS defensive coordinator what the toughest offense for him to defend was. The answer? “The one who isn’t bored with gaining 4 yards a play.” That’s a definite weakness for me as an OC, but I don’t think I’m alone (otherwise that Coach wouldn’t have made the comment he did). We get bored with plays that simply “work” – we forget that 4 yards a play will win you an awful lot of games.

Certainly, I think everyone looks for or expects a home run from time to time – maybe you’ve been setting up a reverse or double pass, or just a double-move pass or a simple counter. I remember one of my favorite calls from last year was after running a certain toss sweep with motion three or four times against a pretty active defense. We got down to their 30, and I called for the same motion and toss action, except we ran the counter. Result = TD. A couple of years ago it was a reverse on the opponent’s 5 yard line…..I know, pretty much not done, but when paired with known formations and motions, the back walked in.


One of my goals this year is to enjoy the heck out of those four yard gains, and feel the high of that new drug (again)……

No comments:

Post a Comment