Tuesday, February 3, 2015

NFL 2014 officially over...now the Fun Begins!

Remember how I said last week that I felt bad for Shawn Slocum, the ST coach for the Packers? Yeah, he got fired Friday. Such is the business of football. You produce, or you’re out, simple as that. I’ve been fired once. Well, demoted really. I was the OC for a team in 2004. We lost in Week One, 45-7. We gave up 350 yards on the ground, and I got demoted from OC to TE coach. We ended up averaging 6.7 points per game that year, going 1-9. So even if you know in your heart that it wasn’t you, sometimes someone has to take the fall. Since the HC for that team was also the DC, he wasn’t about to fire himself, you know? I’m sure that Coach Slocum will land on his feet somewhere – it just may not be in the NFL. Only 32 jobs like that in the world, you know?

The Super Bowl was Sunday, in case you didn’t notice…..it was a great game. Of course, everyone has been talking about “the call”. My take is that I sure hope I would’ve called a run in that situation. Maybe line up in a slightly different formation than the previous play, but motion a lead blocker back to the same spot and run to the same gap. The OL there had confidence, the DL perhaps not so much. Maybe show a read option look to the same side so that not everyone could gang up on Lynch. If we don’t get in, you call time out. You now have about 15 seconds left. 3rd down becomes a down where people assume you will pass, so that you can stop the clock. Maybe, maybe not, but two plays are called in the huddle and the 4th down play can be anything….but most likely one more chance to batter the ball into the end zone. With smart formationing, that last play probably gets snapped at 1 or 2 seconds left (if 3rd down was a run and no receivers had to change sides or anything else time-consuming). That’s my take….as in many situations I can only hope that I make a call that not everyone in the country will criticize. And yeah, I did criticize it. The rationale of “9 in the box” doesn’t entirely work for me, since you don’t need to block the back 2, 3 or even 4 guys. Not for 1 yard. On the frontside, if you give an option look, then you eliminate 1 other. So yes – I’d still run it.

One thing I admired is Pete Carroll’s willingness to cover for his OC. One thing I didn’t admire is the OC not covering for his guy. You think he didn’t go strong enough to the ball then? Do you think your comments will make him want to fight for you now or in the future? I think the OC just lost that kid. Take a note from your HC – he didn’t throw you under the bus, and you shouldn’t have done that to your player.

I also mentioned last week how I got a little pushback from my men’s QB about the pending terminology changes I’m implementing. Funny how you can work things out over a plate of BBQ! He and one of my WR met for dinner last week and I’m happy that I was able to outline things a little better and in more detail. I think everyone is excited about the possibilities these changes can bring.

First Surge practice of the year coming up this Sunday! Can’t wait…..I’ve got some rookies to get coached up. I always have at least one on the OL, but this year there are four I think. Not all will start, but I’ve got to get them all ready. Also, based on what I’ve been looking at this off season, I may be making my first major technique revisions in quite some time in the run game. I used to teach a 3-step progression off the ball, but switched to a 2-step a couple of years ago (once I realized I was out of touch and behind the times). Now it looks like I’m going to go with the “double under” approach. After looking at film, it appears that we end up that way anyway, so might as well get the most out of it! I’ll explain more after I get into it, but for those OL coaches out there that already teach it, I would look forward to your comments.


OK, as I mentioned, you may not hear from me again until February 25. Next Wednesday I’m out to Cleveland, and I don’t get back until the 18th, and then I’m out again to Vegas for the Glazer clinic. One of the highlights this year at the clinic is Jim McNally, the godfather of the zone run game. He started teaching it back in 1978, and I’m looking forward to learning from the source himself. So I hope everyone has a great couple of weeks of practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment