Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Camp Update & Time of Reflection

As we head into the start of the offseason, the luxury of doing work without a weekly deadline (with the exception of this blog!) is nice. I’ve begun looking at everything I did last year and seeing where we were weak and where we may have been strong but could do better. There is no sense of complacency in any area. I’m especially looking at my own communication skills to improve in that area. In that regard, I would highly recommend Proactive Coaching (www.proactivecoaching.info or you can find them on Facebook). I think you’ll find their material interesting and thought-provoking.

I’m excited to announce (95% sure of his attendance) another great guest coach for our camp in November – Head Coach Rick Rasmussen from the Utah Falconz. Rick brings a diversity of knowledge and experience. He has some great ideas on leadership, along with the wealth of knowledge he brings in the area of option offense. If you’ve seen any film at all on the Falconz, you’ll know he had their offense running on all cylinders, which was very impressive for a first-year team.

Coach Rasmussen will join the other previously announced coaches from around the country: Matt Russell, Angel Rivera III and Billy Hughes, Jr. from Dallas; Ed Williams from Kansas City and Lori Locust from Pennsylvania.

We’re hoping to have a host hotel announced soon – that is our next priority. Also, I’ll be creating a Facebook page as another avenue for information. If anyone feels like letting their creative side come out, we’re looking for a simple logo. Just contact me at kmring@gmail.com.

****
Now the reflection…..I received a very sad piece of news from the men’s side of the game today. A player that I coached against the last couple of years sustained a severe neck injury during a game a couple of weeks ago. He was paralyzed, but seemed to be fighting through it. I heard Monday that he passed away from cardiac arrest Sunday night.

He was a defensive lineman and apparently tackled the RB on a simple dive play. I have not seen the play on film, all I know is it seemed routine and that the RB is carrying around an awful lot of guilt.

This type of tragedy should serve as a reminder for all coaches, but especially women’s coaches whose players probably don’t have the neck strength of their male counterparts, to emphasize head up tackling and blocking. See your target! The head should NEVER be the initial point of contact in any block or tackle.

I think a lot of times, proper tackling form is taught in preseason, perhaps in shorts only and then forgotten about – there are more pressing items, with games coming each week and all the adjustments that need to be made and all…..but we all have a responsibility to keep our players as safe as possible. Things may still happen – football is a dangerous game – but we have to ensure that we are doing everything in our power to teach, emphasize and remind our players of proper, safe technique. If you as a coach have any questions about how to do that, I would highly encourage you to contact USA Football at http://usafootball.com/headsup for more information.

Also, I heard about the passing of Veronica “Ro” Gazzillo of the Chicago Force. I never met her, but we used to banter back and forth on Dion Lee’s message board. She seemed like a wonderful person, and the news saddened me greatly. I lost a very dear friend the same way a few years ago, so know exactly what those close to her are feeling. So please….if any of you are ever feeling alone or with no way out, please, please reach out. Let’s all do whatever we can to lessen the chances of any more tragedies, on or off the field.

Be good, be safe….see you next week.

(PS - next week's blog will be out on Thursday, as Coach Suggett and I are meeting on the camp Wednesday night)

No comments:

Post a Comment