Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Road to the Championship

We are privileged to be going back to the National Championship game for the third time in four years, something no other WFA team has done. Our opponent will be the Boston Militia, a team that beat us for the 2011 title, 34-19. They are extremely athletic and very well coached. We’re looking forward to the challenge and expect another great game.

It hasn’t quite sunk in yet that we’re going to the championship again. I know it will at some point, but right now it just feels as though we’re doing what we’re supposed to be doing. The Seattle game jolted me a bit, and quite honestly felt a bit like an escape (as much as a two-TD win can), but this week it seemed like we were just back to being us.
*****

We put together probably one of our best games of the season this past Saturday against the Kansas City Titans. I expected to win, but not quite in this fashion: 59-14, if you hadn’t heard already. They were the #3 scoring offense in the country, averaging around 48 points per game; and the #2 scoring defense in the country, giving up only around 5 points per game.

Our defense was outstanding, and I really have to give a shout out to my offensive line. Left tackle Katrina Walter, left guard Kim Henry, center Jen White, right guard Eboni Chambers, right tackle Jessica Cable and super subs Christina Carrillo and Tye Williamson really did a great job. They didn’t give up a sack (only two all year) and we ran for over 300 yards – not bad for a team widely perceived as a finesse offense. I can’t tell you how proud I am of them.
*****

I was able to give a clinic to some youth OL coaches this past week. What a blast that was! I never know when speaking to youth coaches how much will be relevant, but I did point out that coaching women and coaching youth had one very distinct similarity: you get raw rookies who have never put on pads before each year. With the youth leagues, your challenge is to get every player in a minimum amount of plays. With us, we don’t have to play anyone more than they deserve or what the needs of the team dictate, but we also have to get them ready to perform on a possible national stage against some very experienced athletes.

So when I saw the coaches nodding their heads, taking a ton of notes and even laughing at my jokes, it truly was a rush like no other. Teaching is a blast – and really, that’s what we all are, teachers in “3D”. Not only concepts or facts, but also actions, body control, mental & physical toughness. And you have to remember the mental parts while someone else may be beating on you. It’s not an easy thing we do.
*****

I hope to see a lot of you in Chicago over the championship weekend. I’m sure the Force will do a great job as a host – I know how they feel, haven fallen short last year then having to host the game a short time later. While it is a business trip first and foremost, I believe that you always have enough time to stop and say hi to someone you may only get to see on Facebook or this weekend. So don’t be afraid to say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment