Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Coordinating an Offense - Part 3

The last two weeks I've talked about your terminology and how it can impact your players’ reaction times and efficiency when it comes to running either an up-tempo offense all the time, or just when you are in a hurry-up situation. This week I’d like to touch on the nuts and bolts of actually installing an offense.

I believe that when installing an offense, you have to work backwards from your first game. You generally know when that is, and since you also know when your first practice is, you can create an installation calendar listing each practice. This literal calendar can be an invaluable aid in keeping you organized and on top of the progress your offense makes.
Prior to creating your installation calendar, you and the rest of the offensive staff should have a discussion regarding the philosophical direction of the offense. Make sure you’re all on the same page (including the head coach, if s/he’s not part of the offensive staff) as far as what your expectations are in both personnel and scheme.

I think it is important to note that no matter what your own personal philosophy of offense is, you may need to alter it to suit your players’ abilities. I can remember my first year as an offensive coordinator, in 1999. I’d taken over a men’s semi-pro team and had come straight from the high school ranks. I thought that the West Coast style of offense the high school ran would be fine for a bunch of grown men. I was wrong! Fortunately, it didn't take me very long to realize it, and we were able to make the switch over to an option-based system with drastically simplified line rules.

Once you decide on the direction of the offense, then you need to establish what your “go-to” play will be – what play will you use to set the tone for a game? That should be the first play you install, the first one you run during your very first team session. In past years for me, it has been the inside zone run, the outside zone run, the counter, a four verticals pass and a fly sweep. Each of those, depending on the team, was the “go-to” play for the year. The team knew, and had confidence in, those plays and knew that when the going got tough, they could execute that play and have a better-than-normal chance at success.

After that, after setting the tone, then you need to work the rest of your offense in. I normally group the plays by concept, so that the progression flows for everyone, and they can see, understand and retain the plays better. For example, in the pass game, if you start with your 4 Vertical concept, then install all the variants off of that. One year, my four vertical was called “Roadrunner” and then we had “Coyote” and “Acme” off of that, so those plays were installed right after Roadrunner. I would try to avoid installing more than one concept per practice.
Same thing for your run game – if you start with the inside zone, then install all of your variants of that before going to your counter gap concept plays.

Make sure that when you’re installing your base offense that you run them from all of your formations, unless you specifically decide not to run a particular play from a formation. That’s OK – there may be a perfectly fine reason to not pair a formation with a play. But 90% of the time, you should be able to run your base plays from all your formations.

I use a “ready list” spreadsheet to keep me on track. I start out with a Master – usually one from a previous year, when you have every play, every formation and every variant listed. Then I make a new sheet (tab) and mark it for the first practice – eliminating 95% of the Master. Then for each successive practice, I add to it what will be new for that practice. I normally pass those out to my QB and let them know that they are responsible for knowing assignment and formation for everyone else (maybe not the OL in the run game, but they should know the pass pro basics and the overall concept of the run plays). Obviously, not all the play/formation combinations on a ready list will make it to a team practice script, but the practice scripts are made from the ready list.

I’d be happy to send you a sample of what I’m talking about – just hit me up in the comments, on Facebook, Google+, Twitter or via e-mail.


That should get you started down the right path!

No comments:

Post a Comment